Monday, December 05, 2005

4 years has past and I still miss that world

I guess the title says it all. Does anyone else miss the Buffy-verse as much as I do? I find myself forgetting the details but wanting to remember. So I think I will write.

I will start with favorites. Favorite episode: Ammends. Hands down, the best episode ever, though there are a few really good ones. Favorite scene(s): There's a few. In Ammends, the scene during which Buffy begs Angel to come out of the light. I especially love the part where she says "I know what it feels like because you did it all to me." - wow, what a line. Now there's some sorrow for you. Very painful. Also, in the very last episode, during the major fight scene, when Buffy get's rattled by The First. She's going to die, and then, stands up and fights. The music there, that's what did it for me. Christophe Beck is a genius. So are the rest of the Buffy crew. What an awesome world.

What's so great about Buffy-verse? Well, besides the spectacular creativity, and the utterly awesome writing, the committment to characters and storyline, and the outright humor. BTVS was an amazing show for all these reasons. Still, there was more to it than that I am sure. No other show I know captured me like it did. Surely there was something particularly relavent for me there.

I think it was the sadness. Buffy-verse was the perfect medium for telling a story of sadness. Sadness always packs a punch for me. And the sadder a character has the right to be, the more drawn to the story I am. Buffy sure had the right to feel sad. She held the fate of the world in her hands, without having any control. That is, she had to fight to keep us alive, but she had no way of ever stopping the attacks. All she could do is fight back when they came, and they always came. This, with a heritage that suggested she wouldn't live past tomorrow. All by herself. Well, maybe with some help, but ultimately by herself. Cutting edge saddness if you ask me. What a high.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home